Data Visualization DC
Wednesday, October 1 at 6:30 PM
The recent craft beer renaissance and its attendant online communities of craft beer aficionados have created both a valuable digital resource and a h…
Wednesday, October 1 at 7:00 PM
This month we’ll feature demos of three new tools that approach mapping in new and interesting ways. Come out to see them in action presented in five …
Data Driven DC
In 1 hour we will teach you:
1. How the Mars Rover detected metal on Mars (using Principal Component Analysis) – you will be able to do it too!
2. How do you simplify a complex problem to one page for your boss or client (Regularization)?
3. How to automatically classify a document by topic without actually reading it (Latent Symantec Analysis)!
4. How to find what clique you belong to: Affinity Propagation and its broad applications
Background required: curiosity (a basic familiarity with the R programming language and basic statistics including basic regression and correlation)
If you have gone through the below you will be ready:
1. R tutorial: https://www.datacamp.com/courses/introduction-to-r (intro to basics is sufficient but of course the more you know the better)
2. Basic linear regression: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_regression
3. Basic correlation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_and_dependence
DC Business Intelligentsia
Monday, October 6 at 6:00 PM
… from a guy who taught 1,000,000 people statistics! In October, we are very fortunate to have Dr. Jeff Leek present. Dr. Jeff Leek is an Associa…
Federal Big Data Working Group
Monday, October 6 at 6:30 PM
• 6:30 p.m. Welcome and Introduction – Report on Recent Meeting with Dr. Taha Kass-Hout, FDA’s First Chief Health Informatics Officer (CHIO) and FDA D…
Open Analytics Summits are for Developers, Engineers, Data Scientists, CMOs, Data Analysts, CTOs, Architects, Brand Managers, and anyone passionate about open source technologies, big data, or data analytics.
Open Analytics Summits are for developers, engineers, CMOs, CISOs, CTOs, Data Scientists, Analysts, and anyone interested in learning about open source technologies and data analytics. This year’s DC Summit will be focused around cyber security. We have a great lineup of speakers from Symantec, Air Force, DHS, AOL, Truman National Security Project, and more. Early bird registration ends August 22nd so sign up soon!
Big Data DC
Tuesday, October 7 at 6:30 PM
Title: How to Run Big Apps and Big Data Like Twitter, Google and Airbnb (Even if You are Smaller Than Them) Using Apache Mesos When: Oct 7th, 6:30…
Washington Statistical Society on Meetup
Wednesday, October 8 at 3:15 PM
Title: Statistics Education as Part of the Common Core: What, Why, and How? Date/Time: October 8, 2014 3:45– 5:00 p.m. with an informal reception from…
DC Natural Language Processing
Wednesday, October 8 at 6:30 PM
This month features an introduction to the art of automated query parsing, and a discussion of a WaPo app that automates some of the tedium of fact ch…